Locally Owned Businesses as the Real Engines of Job Creation. We propose a seven-part program to advance this power shift:
- Redefine our economic priorities by replacing financial indicators with real-wealth indicators as the basis for evaluating economic performance.
- Restructure the money system to root the power to create and allocate money in Main Street financial institutions that support Main Street job creation.
- Restore the middle class by restoring progressive tax policies and a strong and secure social safety net.
- Create a framework of economic incentives that favor human-scale enterprises that are locally owned by people who have a natural interest in the health and well-being of their community and its natural environment.
- Protect markets and democracy from corruption by concentrations of unaccountable corporate power.
- Organize the global economy into substantially self-reliant regional economies that align and partner with the structure and dynamics of Earth’s biosphere.
- Put in place global rules and institutions that secure the universal rights of people and support democratic self-governance andeconomic self-reliance at all system levels.